Learn to make the easiest pickled red onions that are ready in 30 minutes!
There are not many ways to add some zing to your dishes as easy as Pickled red onions. This easy pickled red onions recipe will add that something extra to so many dishes from Mexican dishes to BBQ and even hamburgers and Bratwursts. These are so good that my kids even eat them straight out of the jar. The best part? They are ready to go in as few as 30 minutes. I must admit though, my favorite way to enjoy them is on a pulled pork sandwich piled on top of the coleslaw and my South Carolina BBQ sauce.
It’s super easy! Also, super fast.
Easy Pickled Red Onions Recipe Ingredients
The ingredients required to make this easy pickled red onions recipe are probably already in your pantry.
- Vinegar: Both distilled white vinegar as well as apple cider vinegar can be used successfully in this recipe. You can even opt to use a combination of both.
- Water: Adding some water to your pickling brine helps to mellow out the harsher flavor of the vinegar.
- Salt: Adding salt to you pickling brine really helps to release and bring out the flavors of your onions and additional ingredients.
- Sugar: White (Granulated) sugar adds just a touch of sweetness to round out all of the flavors.
- Black Peppercorns: Peppercorns are used to add a depth and complexity to these pickled red onions.
- Minced Garlic: Adding minced garlic, or thinly sliced garlic cloves, adds so much to these pickled red onions that I would not want to eat them without it.
- (Optional) Sliced Jalapenos or other hot pepper: If you like a spicy kick then feel free to add a few sliced of hot pepper or even crushed pepper flakes to this easy pickled red onions recipe.
How To Pickle Your Red Onions
Here is how we put this super Easy Pickled Red Onions recipe together.
- Slice Your Onions. Slice your onion into very thin slices. *Thicker slices can be used, but will need to sit for several hours before they are ready to enjoy!
- Prepare any additional ingredients. Thinly slice your garlic clove and any and prepare any additional ingredients.
- Make Your Brine. Combine all ingredients, except your onions, in a small pot and bring the brine to a slow simmer. Simmer until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Pickle. Place your sliced onions into a mason jar. Pour the brining mixture over the onions until they are completely covered. Shake your mason jar to combine all ingredients. Let the mixture rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. *I like to let mine rest for several hours.
- Enjoy. Your Easy Pickled Red Onions are ready to serve and enjoy.
How To Enjoy Your Easy Pickled Red Onions
These Pickled red onions go so well with so many different dishes it’s hard to know where to start. Here are a few of the ways that my family likes to enjoy them. . .
- Sandwiches: Sandwiches and wraps can really benefit from that extra zing these pickled red onions add.
- Mexican: Mexican dishes are a classic way to enjoy pickled red onions. From tacos, enchiladas, fajitas to nachos and more, you simply can’t go wrong.
- BBQ: This is this one! Toss a few of these on top of a pulled pork or brisket sandwich to really dial up the flavor!
- Salads: These pickled red onions can also add something extra to almost any salad.
If you try this recipe and enjoy it let me know down below. Be sure to let us know any interesting ways you find to enjoy these easy pickled red onions!
Easy Pickled Red Onions Recipe
Cut your red onion into thin slices
Slice garlic clove into thin slices
Separate red onions and place in jar along with peppercorns and sliced garlic
Vinegar, water, salt and your sweetener of choice in a pot and simmer until all is dissolved.
Pour your brine solution over onions until they are completely covered.
Rest for at least 30 minutes and then enjoy.